Costs of College 

If you’re aged 16-18 then your course will be free to study.  

All fees quoted are normally for students aged 19 or over, are per year and are the "standard" prices only and may be subject to change without notice. This applies to those who have been resident in the UK/EU/EEA for at least 3 years prior to the start of the course, for a purpose other than full-time education. 

If you are under 19 years of age or have not been resident in the UK/EU/EEA for at least 3 years, please contact Learner Services on 01384 363 363 for more information. 

Student Financial Support 

We’re delighted you’re thinking of joining Dudley Sixth for your studies. We wanted to tell you more about the types of financial support you may be able to receive, depending on your personal circumstances. 

All bursary and hardship fund forms are available to Dudley Sixth students via the student MyDudleyCollege dashboard, alternatively email the Student Finance Team a link request [[email protected]

Financial Support for 16-18  

16-18 Bursary Funding for Vulnerable Young People 

This is specifically for Learners who have been defined as ‘vulnerable Learners’. Eligible learners will also be allocated travel support. 

Please note looked after children and some care leavers are not eligible for Free meals. 

You can only apply for a Vulnerable Bursary of up to £1200 if you are in one of the groups that have been defined by the Government as being a ‘vulnerable group of Learners’ and meet the eligibility criteria. This includes young people who are living apart from their parents and are: 

  • Looked after (in care) or have recently left care (Care Order in force) 
  • A care leaver 
  • In receipt of Income Support (or Universal Credit) in their own right (not their parents) 
  • Disabled and in receipt of both Employment & Support Allowance (Universal Credit) and Disability Living Allowance (Personal Independence Payments) in their own right (not their parents) 
  • Have caring responsivities for a child and are living independently from their parents – have a tenancy agreement in their own name. You will need to provide up to date evidence to confirm receipt of your Benefit, plus a tenancy agreement in your own name ~ or a recent letter from Social Services confirming your care status. 

16-18 Travel Support Bursary 

  • All full time 16-18-year-old students will be issued with an electronic West Midlands Travel bus pass to a mobile device in the first term to help with the transition to college Learners need to install the Mticket app on their phone and create an account within the app using their Dudley Sixth Email Address which is Learner number (for example 00123456) followed by 
  • The app needs to be on the learner’s phone not a parents or guardians. Links for the app are as follows: 
  • Support for term 2 and 3 is only approved once a 16/18 bursary application is completed, if no bursary form is received the travel support will be cancelled. 
  • Learners who do not have access to a smartphone should contact the Learner finance team on the email address above or call us on 01384 363555 for assistance. 

Free College Meals 

The Government Free College Meals scheme is available to Learners who are from low-income households but is different to free school meals, so Learners may not be eligible for a free meal at college even if learners received a free meal at school. 

Eligible learners will receive credits on their college ID cards to spend at any of Dudley College food outlets. The daily meal rate is £2.41 for each timetabled day in college, the credit is a daily amount and is not rolled over so any unspent credit will be cleared from ID cards and each day will start again with £2.41. 

To be eligible for free meals Learners must be: 

  • Aged between 16 and 18 years on 31 August 2021 or 
  • Aged over 19 who are continuing on the same study programme (19+ continuers) you started before you turned 19 or 
  • Have a valid Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP) – no income evidence is required for leaners with an EHCP however a copy must be provided to prove eligibility. 

In addition to the above Learners or their parents must be receipt of one or more of the following benefits: 

  • Income Support 
  • income-based Jobseekers Allowance 
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) 
  • support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 
  • the guarantee element of State Pension Credit 
  • Child Tax Credit (provided they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190, as assessed by Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC)) 
  • Working Tax Credit run-on – paid for 4 weeks after someone stops qualifying for Working Tax Credit 
  • Universal Credit with net earnings not exceeding the equivalent of £7,400 pa 

Learners can apply for free college meals, by completing a 16/18 bursary application form. All applications require recent income evidence so an assessment can be made, any application received without necessary evidence will not be processed. 

Care To Learn 

The Care to Learn scheme can help with childcare costs while studying. Learners must be aged under 20 at the start of their course. Learners can get up to £160 per child per week. 

To be eligible for Care to Learn the Learner must be: 

  • a parent under 20 at the start of their course
  • is the main carer for a child 
  • live in England 
  • is a British citizen or have a legal right to live and study in England 
  • is enrolled on a qualifying course 
  • Their childcare provider qualifies – To qualify a childcare provider must be Ofsted registered and can be a childminder, preschool playgroup, day nursery or out of school club. 

Claiming Care to Learn will not affect your family’s benefits or allowances. 

Learners can apply for Care to Learn via this link: Apply online for Care to Learn